A few weeks ago, the always delightful fellow mama blogger, The Mrs. of Trying Our Best, tweeted about making a Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese casserole. You had me at Buffalo, mrs.! 🙂 I asked her if she would share the recipe, and she led me to the Food Network’s version of the recipe. She doctored it up to be lighter and healthier, I doctored it up to be more “me”. 🙂 (I will share her link when she has it ready.) I am sharing tonight because this dish is my contribution to an AFC Championship party (GO STEELERS!) tomorrow night, and if I get people asking how I made it, I can direct them here.
What you need:
1 lb. macaroni noodles
2-10 oz. cans of chicken (white in water)
Chopped Onion (spice, to taste)
Olive Oil (to coat pan)
3/4 c. Buffalo Sauce (I also used Frank’s)
7 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp flour
3 c. 2% milk
16 oz. cheese, shredded, your choice (I am a fan of colby jack, so I bought 2 8 oz bags of that)
1 c. bread crumbs
Mix it up…
1. Boil the water in a pot. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 dish with Pam. When water is boiled, add in the macaroni.
2. At the same time the mac is cooking, I put the chopped onion spice and olive oil (ok, I used EVOO with roasted garlic this time) into a pan and start to “brown” the onion”. Add in the chicken and allow that to heat/get a light tan color.
3. Start the cheese sauce by melting the margarine in a saucepan and SLOWLY adding in the flour and milk. Keep stirring, but check that macaroni and chicken, too! Add in the cheese, a bit at a time, until you have a super creamy sauce like this:
4. Time to add the buffalo sauce to the chicken and stir.
5. By now, your macaroni is ready and so is the cheese. Remove both from the heat. Drain the macaroni. Add about 1/2 the macaroni to the 9×13 dish. Add about 1/2 the cheese sauce to the macaroni (trying hard not to burn yourself whilst taking a camera phone picture and dumping/stirring:)
…which means it is time to mix that in with the macaroni and cheese sauce. Slowly add in the rest of the macaroni. Top with the bread crumbs. Put in heated oven for 25-35 minutes until the top is nice and crispy.
7. Remove your finished product from the oven. Allow it to cool a few minutes, dig in and enjoy!